Bible Study Lesson 12- Luke Chapter 1:39-
Recap of Lesson 11
In our last study, we read how Mary had asked how the Angel’s word was to happen since she knew no man and we spoke of how that was the very thing that qualified her for the overshadowing of the Holy Spirit as the specialty of the Lord Holy Spirit is to turn formless and void persons and situations to conform to divine purpose and intent. We also, if we must qualify for the overshadowing of His presence must know no man or be focused on man as our source of life, wisdom etc. The Lord is our source, incubator and life giver. We saw the Lord Jesus without comeliness or form, knowing no man, and it pleased the Lord to rest upon Him for His purpose.
We also again examined the very essential need of this hour to make sure we search out whatever we hear from teachers of the scriptures for ourselves, and to have same confirmed by His Spirit in us who is the abiding unction who teaches us all things so we can discern that which is of the Lord or not.
We examined the use of the word ‘that holy thing’ by the angel to describe the child Mary would bear and saw that this was because it was foretelling that WHATSOEVER is born of and authored by God, is of God and therefore, overcomes the world whether they be animate or inanimate. We therefore ought to ensure that whatever we do or begin comes from a clear word or direction from the Lord as that is what He will overshadow, birth and bring to fruition.
Finally, we considered the fact that God knows where we are at, and hears what men have changed our names to on account of the circumstances we face. For this cause, He is intent on stirring up our faith which is the instrument of our victory over all situations by giving us testimonies from both His Word and other persons of like faith where no example exists in His Word. This was why the angel referred to Elisabeth’s pregnancy in old age when he spoke to Mary. We therefore can ask the Lord for a witness to His words to us from His Word, and not also discountenance the testimonies from brethren of proven like faith with us.
This verse reveals Mary entered in or arrived at her destination. May we also not just arise to go prove what we have heard or received, but to also enter in or arrive at and obtain the witness to what we have believed. We believe this character is consistent with the Lord’s injunction through Paul 1Thessalonians 5:21 to ‘prove all things and hold fast to that which is good’. Again, in Galatians 6:4, the Apostle writes ‘But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone and not in another.’ See also 2Corinthians 13:5 – ‘Examine yourselves whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves.’
We therefore, must not only arise to go and prove the things we have heard from the Lord, but also enter in or actually obtain the proof we seek by reaching our destination. When we do, we will have rejoicing in ourselves as the scripture has stated. Mary as we will see in the further passages, also had rejoicing in herself when she had proven Elisabeth was indeed pregnant as the Angel had told her.
The Lord is not nervous by our seeking proof of what we have heard, indeed He encourages us to do so several times in the scriptures so let us get up and go for He has said I will never leave nor forsake you and the Holy Spirit was with them confirming their words with signs and wonders following.
These verses reveal several things to us.
1. That as we go in belief of what we have heard [which is faith], to prove what we have heard from the Lord, there is a witness waiting for us at that point of entry or proof that what we have indeed heard and ACTED UPON is true.
Elisabeth was moved upon by the Holy Spirit Himself to bring forth a prophetic witness to Mary that what she had heard and acted upon was true.
2. This witness of the Lord to what He has said to us usually comes with a loud voice. This means it is loud and clear for all to see and recognise as His work. The witness of the Lord to His Word is usually not a hidden work or act, it is tangible and evident. As we say in legal parlance, it is direct evidence and not circumstantial leaving room for the surmising of men and subject to debate or various interpretations.
Elisabeth it is written,spake with a loud voice and for a woman who had hidden herself for six months because of her pregnancy, when the Bible says she spoke with a loud voice, we believe her voice was loud enough to attract others apart from Mary to her. It was the time of the unveiling of her own pregnancy to her neighbours.
3. The witness or proof of the Lord’s Word to us announces itself and introduces us to the world or among those with whom we dwell. Mary did not announce herself but in going to prove what she had heard, by arising and going in the direction of what she had been told and believed, the proof of God’s power as manifest in Elisabeth’s condition announced Mary wtih a loud voice or manifestation.
So also, as we arise and go in His Name according to that which we have been told and believed [which is faith], the proof we seek in obedience to the Word believed and acted on will announce us. For example, if we believe and act on the Word of the Lord’s Commission – Go ye into all the world and preach, then the signs promised will follow.
More than ever before, we must seek this loud declaration or announcement even as also loudly proclaim God’s Word for the intent of the enemy is to have us walk in silence, cutting off our voices. We must be aware of this and not permit same.
Read Ps 29:1-11 – the intent of the enemy is that the Voice of the Lord be not heard in and through us yet it is that same Voice that announces us and our victories
Discuss instances we can recall of when a loud or vocally audible expression of God’s Word or prayer evoked a proof of His Word and promise to us. [May speak of Brethren’s testimonies during hurricane Harvey and other situations. Amen].
4. Verse 44 states for as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. Beloved Brethren it is this same voice that we carry and sound or speak in faith that causes destinies within others to whom we speak to come forth.
There are many who carry in them the seed of Christ and as they hear our voices, that seed jumps with joy receiving life and further strength to grow and come forth. The Apostle Paul carried the seed of Christ in Him but it was not manifest or revealed until He heard the voice of the Lord to him. He put it this way in Galatians 1:15-16, ‘But when it pleased God… to reveal His Son in me…’ Destinies are waiting in the womb of many to be birthed by the voice of the Son of God sounding forth from us in these last days. Therefore, may the voice of our salutations in the Name of the Lord not be silent in these evil last days. Amen.
5. There is the promise of a performance of all things we believe THAT HAS BEEN TOLD US FROM THE LORD. There is no promise of performance for the things which have not been told us. It therefore makes sense that we must first hear and receive from the Lord who is the author and performer of His Word.Amen
– Lord cause us to arise and go and to enter in
– Lord cause us not to fear to seek the proof of your Word even as you bid us
– Lord may the voice of your people not be cut off or swallowed up by fear. May the voices of our salutations go forth and cause destinies to be birthed.
This weekly publication is from Chris and Imah of the THE NEIGHBOURHOOD CHURCH, Notes for today's Study. Please note that due to the difference in time zones presently, that the Study starts at 4.30pm British Standard Time, which is one ahead behind the Nigerian time which will now be 5.30pm every saturday. The Lord bless us as find time to share fellowship with us. Please do not forget you can ask questions and we welcome your contributions via messages and comments through our "WRITE TO US PAGE HERE ON THIS WEBSITE.